Abbas is a Senior Solicitor and specialises in litigation involving allegations of misconduct or criminality. His experience includes representing those charged with serious fraud and grave offences, including murder and rape, as well as representing individuals in respect of general criminal offences and extradition requests.
Abbas represents clients at all stages of criminal proceedings and in cases concerning complex, multi-jurisdictional proceedings. He is a detail-oriented, tactical and proactive litigator and frequently provides bespoke, pre-emptive advice to clients who anticipate impending investigations.
As well as representing drivers facing motoring offences – including Taxi and Private Hire (“TPH”) drivers alleged to be ‘touting for hire’ – Abbas assists TPH drivers and operators in licensing applications, and provides representation in disputes with licensing authorities and appeals against license refusals and revocations.
Abbas has a proven track record for successfully defending in heavy weight criminal matters and his work is primarily referred through personal recommendation.
In addition, Abbas has gained the Certified Fraud Examiner (“CFE”) qualification, bringing to his practice a unique insight into the conduct of investigations by prosecutorial agencies. As a Certified Fraud Examiner, Abbas is able to carry out internal investigations and advise individuals, businesses and charities on anti-money laundering (“AML”) and anti-bribery & corruption (“ABC”) due diligence and policy review, as well as providing representation in respect of substantive proceedings before the criminal courts.
Abbas has represented politicians, company directors, doctors, lawyers, accountants and other professionals who seek the best possible representation to robustly, but discretely, safeguard their reputations and careers. He has an excellent record of securing alternative disposals to prosecutions.
Examples of Abbas’ work includes:
- Acting for Dubai based property developer in large scale, multi-jurisdictional fraud and money laundering allegations, as well as Account Freezing & Forfeiture proceedings.
- Representing former Chief Operating Officer of collapsed oil company in confiscation and appeal proceedings emanating from extensive Serious Fraud Office (“SFO”) investigations.
- Representing company officers facing allegations of red diesel fraud, fraudulent evasion of duty, VAT fraud, and money laundering (Operation Maplin).
- Successfully defended established accountant in National Crime Agency (“NCA”) operations concerning allegations of money laundering, modern slavery, and immigration offences, as well as associated cash detention proceedings.
- Successfully represented company directors alleged to be concerned with illegal important of tobacco products, fraudulent evasion of excise duty (estimated £5m annually), and money laundering; Contested Account Freezing Order and Forfeiture proceedings (Operation Fajita).
- Representing company director facing large scale HMRC “Gift Aid fraud” and money laundering allegations.
- Representing individual facing large scale, fraudulent VAT reclaim allegations (Operation Arcane).
- Successfully defended dentist accused of sexually assaulting a patient.
- Successfully defended Mayfair property agent alleged to have committed sex offences, drugs supply, money laundering and operating an illegal money exchange bureau.
- Represented company director in allegations of causing death by dangerous driving which involved arguments pertaining to causation and determination of speed.
- Successfully defended member of re-enactment community who faced allegations of conspiracy to covert firearms.
- Successfully represented television producer in allegations of historic, large value benefits fraud.
- Successful defence in joint enterprise GBH.
- 38-handed conspiracy to supply firearms to undercover police officers in one of London’s largest undercover operations (Operation Peyzac).
- Defended company director in MHRA prosecution concerning supply of unauthorised medicinal products (Operation Spitz).
- Robust defence of a 70-year-old man in historic sexual abuse allegations, involving use of expert evidence of false and transferred memories. The prosecution were forced to discontinue their case.
- Successfully represented mother in ‘baby shaking’ allegations which included complex medical and legal arguments concerning causation.
- Represented company director whose extradition was sought by the Swedish authorities in relation to allegations of large-scale, multi-million-pound Missing Trader Intra-Community (‘MTIC’) fraud and false accounting.
Outside of work, Abbas enjoys sports and crime fiction.
Professional Societies and Memberships:
- London Criminal Courts Solicitors’ Association (“LCCSA”);
- International Compliance Association (“ICA”);
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (“ACFE”).